Swiss chard and potatoes
December 2, 2020 • 0 comments
Swiss chard is another item people have asked about. We will sauté them and eat them as a side, add to smoothies, use in dishes like lasagne, you can even freeze them to use later (will need to sauté first them freeze in serving sizes – we will do that for smoothies lots of times if we cannot use it up). Farmer John came across a delicious recipe for chard and potatoes that was a hit in our house, and very easy!
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 4
1 lb of swiss chard
1 lb of potatoes
¼ cup of oil (we used olive oil)
4 large cloves of garlic
Sea salt & pepper
½ to 1 tsp of red hot pepper flakes
- Wash chard and trim the stems, then cut stems into 1 inch pieces.
- Fold leaves together and cut into ½ inch strips.
- Boil potatoes (we cut ours into cubs) until almost tender – about 20 minutes.
- Add the swiss chard stems into the potatoes and cook another 10 minutes, then add the swiss chard leaves and cook until wilted.
- Drain the potatoes and chard well in a colander.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Season the oil with salt and pepper and add the pepper flakes.
- Add the swiss chard and potatoes, then cook over medium hear, stirring often and mashing the potatoes gently as they cook (about 8 minutes).
- Taste and add seasonings as needed, serve warm.